학교 생활

학교소개 보기학교소개보기 +

Saint Paul American School System 국제학교로서, 북경 사범대학제2부속중학과 교사 및 학점 교류제를 상호적용해 설립한 국제학교

입학절차 및 자격보기 +

현 중학교 재학중인 학생
중학교 졸업(졸업예정) 또는 동등이상의 학력을 인정 받은 학생

학생&선생님 칼럼

학생&선생님 칼럼

Student Article - LET’S GO SWIMMING!

페이지 정보

작성자 SPAS 작성일16-11-30 17:00 조회5,940회

본문

LET’S GO SWIMMING!

By Cagri Sakirogullari

Although many students go swimming on weekends and generally enjoy the sport, Saint Paul American School (SPAS) actually has no official swimming activity or team.

At SPAS, a swimming activity is planned for by the end of this year, depending on student interest. “We will have a swimming activity, realistically by the 3rd 9 weeks and optimistically by the 2nd 9 weeks.” said Ben Wareham, SPAS music and band teacher, and a former member of the United States National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 3 College National Swimming Team.

Saint Paul American School in Beijing, as it was founded only a few years ago, could not immediately establish teams and activities for all sports. Swimming was one of the activities left out. The need for advanced facilities, such as a swimming pool, prevented the school administration from creating such a team. “Last year students weren’t even allowed to go swimming, so the current situation is enough to make me happy” said Dr. Marcotte, the school principal. 

Swimming is a very healthy sport. “It is very good exercise; it makes all your body work and all your muscles stronger”, said Dr. Marcotte,” also it is not a hard surface sport so that everyone from any age can do it”. According to Mr. Wareham, “it is a great opportunity, a great chance. It makes your body, especially heart and lungs, stronger and you learn to control your breathing. It even better prepares you for life.” 

Actually, SPAS is the only international school in Beijing which has a 50 meters long swimming pool within its campus, which is accepted as the length standard for an Olympic size swimming pool by FINA (Fédération Internationale de Natation – International Swimming Federation). It gives our school an advantage against other international schools in Beijing, as they all have 25 meters long short course swimming pools.

Many girls at SPAS, such as Karen and Emerald, from South Korea and Mongolia, respectively, believe that mostly boys would take part in this activity. “Most Korean girls care about their appearance and they would not feel comfortable when in swimsuit.” said Karen, a SPAS student and a member of the student council, ”so I think only boys would take part of it” . However, some members of the student body are interested in this activity.  Cathy, another SPAS student, said that she likes swimming and that she would take part because it is good for her health, makes her lungs stronger and added with a smile that it is important not to drown. Moreover, Kerric, former SPAS student council president, said “Of course!” when asked whether he would take part, “as long as I have enough time for my college preparation and some free time.”