학교 생활

학교소개 보기학교소개보기 +

Saint Paul American School System 국제학교로서, 북경 사범대학제2부속중학과 교사 및 학점 교류제를 상호적용해 설립한 국제학교

입학절차 및 자격보기 +

현 중학교 재학중인 학생
중학교 졸업(졸업예정) 또는 동등이상의 학력을 인정 받은 학생

학생&선생님 칼럼

학생&선생님 칼럼

Student Article - Exchange Programs and You!

페이지 정보

작성자 SPAS 작성일16-11-30 17:00 조회6,146회

본문

Exchange Programs and You!
                                                   By Felipe Uen  (for magazine)

At first
, moving into an international school away from your home may seem to be an overwhelming challenge. But if you accept the challenge, this experience will change your life in many different ways. Perhaps you have never spoken English or another foreign language to a stranger before; perhaps you have never been away from your family and friends for more than a week. If so, an exchange program is the perfect opportunity to experience such challenges.

Improv
ing a second language, understanding a foreign culture, meeting new people, expanding your view about the world, gaining independence and maturity, brightening up your curriculum, or simply breaking up the daily routine these are a few of the many reasons why each year, more and more high school students are studying away from their homes.

Saint Paul American School (SPAS) Chinese student, Zhang Shao Fei, commonly known as Neo, always had a dream of graduating from an American college, but to do so, he would first have to learn how to speak English. Unable to find an American high school in his hometown, Hangzhou, he moved to Beijing, where he applied for SPAS.  Neo said that his primarily problem was with adaptation, that it was hard for him to stay away from his family, friends and girlfriend.  “I was so homesick; I could hardly sleep in the first few days. I was so sad, I wanted to go home, but I didn’t want to give up on my dream, just like my uncle said: “A dreamer’s dream never dies.”

Here at Saint Paul American School, all students have the opportunity to study abroad. With students from more than ten different countries, the school’s environment has a distinct international flavor. “We can learn things from all over the world, all within our school gates.” Says SPAS student Sibi Abubacar, age 17.  

SPAS also provide dormitories located inside the campus gates, which can be shared with one or two other students. Just beside the students’ dormitory lies the school’s cafeteria, which provides traditional Chinese meals for all students. There is also a soccer field and a gymnasium, where students play ping pong, badminton, basketball, soccer, and a 50 meter swimming pool. “I had never played soccer before. It is so much fun!” says Neo.

But do not get all excited yet! Studying abroad may be hard and much preparation is required, both mentally and physically. It is very common to feel homesick and lonely during the first days in your new school. 

“I was feeling alone and depressed, but after the first three days, I met some new friends, and now I am good. - They even helped me to feel less homesick.” Says Sibi Abu Bacar. 

Other obstacles foreigners might face is administrating time to study the school’s American curriculum and also a secondary language. “It is hard to learn two different languages (English and Chinese), do all homework on time, and prepare for my TOEFL test,” says Korean SPAS student Matteo Tang, age 16.

Such difficulties are accompanied by great rewards, however, and older students often remark that their exchange program experiences were the greatest learning opportunities of their lives.   

“I find it easier to teach an international class, they (students) are extremely focused, they all keep their goals centered” Says SPAS English and science teacher, Mr. Dudley Bert. “When a student cooperates with the class, everyone learns more, even the teachers.” Even though it may be difficult, exchange programs allows students grow immensely, both academically and as a person.”

“SPAS students must begin the academic year ready to face and overcome new challenges, while the school staff does their best to keep students happy in their classroom and in their dormitories, so they can concentrate on their studies and reach their maximum academic potential.” Says SPAS Principal, Doctor Sharon Marcotte. “Students with an exchange program experience are most likely to get into the best colleges and best careers” she concludes.

Rafael Tienpal Uen, age 21, says that the one year he spent studying in Beijing was both the best year of his life and the most educational. He decided to study in Beijing because he wanted to learn Chinese, since he believes China will become the number one economic power in the future and Chinese might replace English as the international business language. He also said that although the first week was hard, he had the best year of his life in China, where he met a lot of new friends, visited different places, and was exposed to a divergence of cultures allowing him to become more mature and independent. “It was the first time I was free of my parent`s wings,” he finished.

Exchange programs may be one of the hardest experiences a teenager can face; therefore, one should consider the pros and cons thoroughly before taking the leap. Nonetheless it is certain that studying abroad will open the student’s eyes to a whole new outlook, with new faces to meet, and mighty challenges to overcome.